“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

Movie Moments

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Re: Movie Moments

Post by Extant on Thu May 20, 2010 4:20 pm

Yeah, brutal stuff. It's not just blood and guts though. Or lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, of sex either. I mean, more sex than you can shake a stick at. The plotting, script, characterization, and historical detail are amazing. Watch for the hand signs ands gestures that are made throughout the series by many of the different characters. Servilia in her death scene makes a key hex gesture when she curses Attia.
    Rome made me think that I want to investigate the historical underpinning to this and see just how much is fact.
    The fat public announcer who proclaims the day's news in the public fora just like a newscaster always uses specific hand gestures to accompany particular pieces of news. The senate also make use of these gestures too. The detail of how pagan Roman ritual dominated the lives of the folk (except much of the dominant elite who saw it only as a tool to be employed for their benefit) is very well done.
    I found it most intriguing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Something funny from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on Rome though:

I was sort of impressed with the accuracy of the sets -aka, it was almost unique, along with Caligula in not portraying Rome as a bare marble city. Then again, costume and sets is all that modern film makers are good at any more. Some of the ritual practises were accurate, if anachronistic (aka, the Taraboulium came rather later) and added in for shock effect. The use of Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, who were actual historical personages recorded in Julius' diaries, was also fairly clever, even if they were portrayed completely inaccurately.

The portrayal of Atia of the Julii as a doltish slut is, of course, preposterous. As are almost all of the other characterizations, excepting perhaps that of Lucius Vorenus, who more resembled Roman character than most of the others. Basically, Hollyweird made ancient Rome seem almost identical to modern day Los Angeles, which is a place like no other place on earth (Angelinos, like all Californians, are preposterously provincial; they think the whole world is just like them, or at best are trying to fake as if they are not just like slimey Angelinos). From the idiotic "coctail party" scenes, to the rug-munching hippy fruitcake Octavia; they even made up Julius (played by a mick) to look like a jewish studio head. They also made the famous Roman senators look like a bunch of bozo chicken-chested studio moneymen, caught up in a hostile takeover.

Despite all this, I found it amusing to watch, moderated by enormous quantities of wine, and watched with a historian friend. That way you can sneer at the really bad parts, and enjoy the whole "sword and sandal" campiness of it all. I mean, at least John Milius was involved, so it was not completely devoid of human qualities, like, say, Oliver Stone's preposterous fruity Alexander (yes, we know Alexander liked fucking men: that doesn't mean he was one of the village people, dumbass) or Wolfgang Petersen's Troy (aka, Homeric epic goes "Fame").
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post by Lucid Memes on Thu May 20, 2010 8:08 pm

LMAO at the Alexander the Village People comment lol

Extant wrote:The fat public announcer who proclaims the day's news in the public fora just like a newscaster always uses specific hand gestures to accompany particular pieces of news. The senate also make use of these gestures too. The detail of how pagan Roman ritual dominated the lives of the folk (except much of the dominant elite who saw it only as a tool to be employed for their benefit) is very well done.
    I found it most intriguing.

That's pretty interesting. Did they make any reference to Mithraic Mysteries and early Christianity? If not, any subtle foreshadowing you may have noticed?

I always been so fascinated by Rome, ever since I saw the movie Gladiator when that first came out. Gladiatorial events were initially an honorary sacrifice at Roman aristocratic funerals. The fighting was just the way to initiate the killing before the event later turned into an art and national spectacle in huge stadiums.

So in honor of the Movie Moments thread, highlight from Gladiator

Sorry, I've never accepted him as any other character than Maximus lol

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Post by Extant on Fri May 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Lucid Memes wrote:
    Did they make any reference to Mithraic Mysteries and early Christianity? If not, any subtle foreshadowing you may have noticed?

No overt reference, or otherwise, to Mithraism that I could detect. Many, many Gods were propitiated but not Mithra as far as I can remember. Christianity was foreshadowed by some Jewish messianic revolutionaries who were were going to assassinate King Herod, Hashshashin style, martyring themselves in the process. They were proclaiming many of the radical, more political and theological, stances that Jesus was known for in the scriptures. The greed and unworthy secular power of the Jewish priesthood for one, and their reliance on tribute and money changing.

One thing about Rome, especially concerning the scathing comment from that forum I quoted. Rome can be all things to all people, almost. Not only can it be seen as Hollyweird on the Capitoline Hill, but as it was a joint HBO/BBC venture it's also fully the East End of London on the Capitoline Hill, complete with wide boy gangsters and various hard nut geezers in tight knit crews. The Collegium are entirely East End gangsters through and through. And they all speak in an English accent throuhgout Rome and its territories. The elite of Rome are all posh toffs and hoighty-toighty blue blood English aristocrats.
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Sat May 22, 2010 8:38 am

Extant wrote:Christianity was foreshadowed by some Jewish messianic revolutionaries who were were going to assassinate King Herod, Hashshashin style, martyring themselves in the process. They were proclaiming many of the radical, more political and theological, stances that Jesus was known for in the scriptures. The greed and unworthy secular power of the Jewish priesthood for one, and their reliance on tribute and money changing.

That makes me think of something Bertrand Russell said in an interview I once heard. He basically said he believed that Roman officials created Christianity with that particular emphasis in order to undermine Jewish economic strength and resistance to Roman authority. I'm still trying to verify if there's any proof of this or if it's just Russell's opinion.

Extant wrote:One thing about Rome, especially concerning the scathing comment from that forum I quoted. Rome can be all things to all people, almost. Not only can it be seen as Hollyweird on the Capitoline Hill, but as it was a joint HBO/BBC venture it's also fully the East End of London on the Capitoline Hill, complete with wide boy gangsters and various hard nut geezers in tight knit crews. The Collegium are entirely East End gangsters through and through. And they all speak in an English accent throuhgout Rome and its territories. The elite of Rome are all posh toffs and hoighty-toighty blue blood English aristocrats.

Haha!

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Post by Extant on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:07 pm

"Wo-man. Whoa-man! Whooooo-a-man!
    She was a thief,
    You've got to belief,
    She stole my heart and my cat."

lol.

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:05 pm

This movie is a wonderful tragedy...

RB
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2010-06-12

Post by RB on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Howard Beale: Turn off your TVs

Network - "I'm as mad as hell" speech

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Post by Extant on Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:14 pm

RDBois wrote:
    Network - "I'm as mad as hell" speech

The "Mad as hell" diatribe is excellent. Superb movie moment. cheers
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:06 pm

RB
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2010-06-12

Post by RB on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:08 pm

These are short but clever comedie skits or/and allegories from The Kids in the Hall. Someone is in the know me think.

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt