“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

Fifth Generation Warfare

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Fifth Generation Warfare

Post by Extant on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Fifth Generation Warfare and Super-Empowered Individuals

Wishtank: There’s been some commentary around this question within the comment section of Skilluminati.com, but could you give us your definition of fifth generation warfare (5GW)? How might this differ from popular understandings of the phrase?

Justin Boland: “Solo warfare” would be the most concise. It’s slippery because both words are deceptive — “solo” implies that you’d never collaborate with other 5GW operatives, and “warfare” implies overt agression and violence.

I’m very much uncommitted to the 5GW orthodoxy, the framework is just another model to me and of course all models are toys. Toys for thinking and analysis, but toys just the same. I like to disassemble things to see how they work and ideas are no different.

In terms of the generations of war, I think the distinction between 3GW — traditional, nation versus nation warfare — and 4GW is very useful. 4GW is non-state “guerrilla” organizations going to war against nations, and it’s a great unsolved problem of our time. Nations all around the world are losing these wars right now, and the USA is no exception.

WT: Speaking of weapons and armies, does 5GW employ violence as earlier generations of warfare have?

JB: Not if it’s any good. 5GW is sometimes referred to as “Invisible Warfare” because of the emphasis on out-thinking your opponent and operating in secret.

I’ve been fascinated to see the parallels between warfare and marketing over the past century. The languages of advertising and mass persuasion are often identical — penetration, projection, triggering and targeting. There’s been a shift in emphasis from mass marketing and world warfare, to segmented marketing and counterinsurgency, and now viral marketing and 5GW share a common set of concepts as well. You could also write an essay exploring the links between urban marketing and urban warfare in the past decade, but it would be a fairly boring essay.

If there is violence, it will be largely inadvertent, if not entirely unintentional. Precise hits on vulnerable infrastructure will be getting more common in the next decade. I have no idea if that will lead to smaller, more resilient communities or towards a more iron-clad and energy-efficient version of globalist capitalism.

My focus is on open-source projects, cheap, low-tech empowerent, asymmetrical system design and energy independence. I think it’s important to be in on this conversation early, because the core problem globalist capitalism is facing right now is 4th Generation Warfare — they can’t beat it and they can barely even fight it.

Right now there’s hundreds of billions of Homeland Security dollars being wasted. Liars in ties are selling security systems for an infrastructure that cannot be secured. I’m rooting for the little guy, but the little guy is more interested in TV and it’s not like I’m getting paid for this. I am hopeful that we’re on the verge on a radical change, but realistically, we’re probably just headed for bigger, more expensive fences… control systems that make the sheep feel secure but do nothing to protect against actual wolves.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Skilluminati: 5GW Research Project

The Strategist: The Architect and Fifth Generation Warfare

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Re: Fifth Generation Warfare

Post by Lucid Memes on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Ahh...I like that.

I’ve been fascinated to see the parallels between warfare and marketing over the past century. The languages of advertising and mass persuasion are often identical — penetration, projection, triggering and targeting. There’s been a shift in emphasis from mass marketing and world warfare, to segmented marketing and counterinsurgency, and now viral marketing and 5GW share a common set of concepts as well. You could also write an essay exploring the links between urban marketing and urban warfare in the past decade, but it would be a fairly boring essay.

Weltanschauungskrieg...world-view warfare...Adam Curtis talks about how world-view warfare became marketing and advertisement industries in his documentary Century of the Self.

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post by Lucid Memes on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Also kind of reminds me of The Art of Memetics

Product Description
    Memetics is an artform centered around distributing memes across any given memetic network. As these networks exist both internally and externally, a memeticist is dealing in a practical way with a number of seemingly unrelated disciplines. At the center of this overlap lies cybernetic theory, but it also entails strategies from marketing, psychology, social networking, cultural analysis, rhetorical principles, and biological theory, specifically viral and epidemiological models.

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Post by Extant on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:54 pm

Cool. I'll look at the links tomorrow, especially that Art of Memetics one. It's damn late here now. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:15 am