“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

Thoughtforms, thinkers, visionaries, and culture shapers

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Re: Thoughtforms, thinkers, visionaries, and culture shapers

Post by Lucid Memes on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Robert Ager is wonderful...its amazing how uses semiotics to break down his movies. I really enjoyed all of his Kubrick work. I sent him an email asking him to analyze "Dr. Strangelove" but he concluded that Kubrick's film style hadn't really developed till 2001 and his later work. I spent a while on this information a couple years ago, going through all of his videos. Certainly worth a reviewing again.

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post by Lucid Memes on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Post by Extant on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 am

Lucid Memes wrote:Robert Ager is wonderful...its amazing how uses semiotics to break down his movies. I really enjoyed all of his Kubrick work. I sent him an email asking him to analyze "Dr. Strangelove" but he concluded that Kubrick's film style hadn't really developed till 2001 and his later work. I spent a while on this information a couple years ago, going through all of his videos. Certainly worth a reviewing again.

You're already aware of his work I see. I only came across his stuff a couple of weeks ago. Very good, as you say.
    Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Post by Extant on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Post by Extant on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:21 am

The Decline of the American Empire:

'As U.S. power recedes, the past offers a spectrum of possibilities for a future world order. At one end of this spectrum, the rise of a new global superpower, however unlikely, cannot be ruled out. Yet both China and Russia evince self-referential cultures, recondite non-roman scripts, regional defense strategies, and underdeveloped legal systems, denying them key instruments for global dominion. At the moment then, no single superpower seems to be on the horizon likely to succeed the U.S.

In a dark, dystopian version of our global future, a coalition of transnational corporations, multilateral forces like NATO, and an international financial elite could conceivably forge a single, possibly unstable, supra-national nexus that would make it no longer meaningful to speak of national empires at all. While denationalized corporations and multinational elites would[i] assumedly rule such a world from secure urban enclaves, the multitudes would be relegated to urban and rural wastelands.

In Planet of Slums, Mike Davis offers at least a partial vision of such a world from the bottom up. He argues that the billion people already packed into fetid favela-style slums worldwide (rising to two billion by 2030) will make “the 'feral, failed cities' of the Third World… the distinctive battlespace of the twenty-first century.” As darkness settles over some future super-favela, “the empire can deploy Orwellian technologies of repression” as “hornet-like helicopter gun-ships stalk enigmatic enemies in the narrow streets of the slum districts… Every morning the slums reply with suicide bombers and eloquent explosions.”

At a midpoint on the spectrum of possible futures, a new global oligopoly might emerge between 2020 and 2040, with rising powers China, Russia, India, and Brazil collaborating with receding powers like Britain, Germany, Japan, and the United States to enforce an ad hoc global dominion, akin to the loose alliance of European empires that ruled half of humanity circa 1900.

Another possibility: the rise of regional hegemons in a return to something reminiscent of the international system that operated before modern empires took shape. In this neo-Westphalian world order, with its endless vistas of micro-violence and unchecked exploitation, each hegemon would dominate its immediate region -- Brasilia in South America, Washington in North America, Pretoria in southern Africa, and so on. Space, cyberspace, and the maritime deeps, removed from the control of the former planetary “policeman,” the United States, might even become a new global commons, controlled through an expanded U.N. Security Council or some ad hoc body.'

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Post by Extant on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:34 am

The following documentaries, from independent production company Metanoia Films are expert dissections of what may be termed the pathology of elite power. In the tradition if Adam Curtis, well known for his output such as "The Century of the Self," "Pandora's Box," "The Power of Nightmares," etc, Metanoia carries on; exposing what often seems to be the lie of freedom and democracy present in the Western world.
    The following films, "Psywar: The Real Battlefield is Your Mind" and "Human Resources" collectively represent the covert abuses of power in an apparently "free" society.
    Excellent work and important, I think.

Psywar:

This film explores the evolution of propaganda and public relations in the United States, with an emphasis on the “elitist theory of democracy” and the relationship between war, propaganda and class. Includes original interviews with a number of dissident scholars including Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Michael Parenti, Peter Phillips (“Project Censored”), John Stauber (“PR Watch”), Christopher Simpson (“The Science of Coercion”) and others.

Watch online in full here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

YouTube playlist of the above available here.

Human Resources:

Human Resources is "a documentary about Social Control, examining the history, the philosophy and ultimately the pathology of elite power."

Watch in full here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

YouTube playlist available here.

Metanoia Films

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 24, 2017 5:37 pm