“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

Are bad sleeping habits driving us crazy.

OSTen19
    White Belt
    White Belt

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Are bad sleeping habits driving us crazy.

Post by OSTen19 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:41 am

Could not enough sleep be one of the main culprits in the rise of mental illness?

Click Here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Re: Are bad sleeping habits driving us crazy.

Post by missingyoumadly on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:57 pm

I am so skeptical of medical studies anymore...I ask myself, sure these people may not have gotten enough sleep BUT also what are they eating during the day?

Having said that, though, America is so fucked up in our lifestyle/schedules...we get up early and force our children to get up early to go to school...we work insane hours and then spend more hours watching television...we are not taught to listen to the voices inside us when we are hungry, tired, etc. Nobody gets enough sleep or enough healthy food, so is it any surprise that ADHD and other mental disorders are so out of control?

Interesting article, I am a medical/science blog reader also!
    NoDoz
    Orange Belt
    Orange Belt

Number of posts : 138

Post by NoDoz on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:10 pm

missingyoumadly wrote:I am so skeptical of medical studies anymore...I ask myself, sure these people may not have gotten enough sleep BUT also what are they eating during the day?

Having said that, though, America is so fucked up in our lifestyle/schedules...we get up early and force our children to get up early to go to school...we work insane hours and then spend more hours watching television...we are not taught to listen to the voices inside us when we are hungry, tired, etc. Nobody gets enough sleep or enough healthy food, so is it any surprise that ADHD and other mental disorders are so out of control?

Interesting article, I am a medical/science blog reader also!

Right on!

i go to bed "late" every night, and wake up in the AM. if i feel tired, i sleep, if not, i don't. but i find the night to be a very productive time for me. it is the only quite time i have lol.
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Post by missingyoumadly on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Right on!

i go to bed "late" every night, and wake up in the AM. if i feel tired, i sleep, if not, i don't. but i find the night to be a very productive time for me. it is the only quite time i have lol.

Sooo..nodoz...are you trying to say you are NOT mentally ill? Neutral
    NoDoz
    Orange Belt
    Orange Belt

Number of posts : 138

Post by NoDoz on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:30 am

missingyoumadly wrote:
    Right on!

Sooo..nodoz...are you trying to say you are NOT mentally ill? Neutral

i am saying the root cause of symptoms is debatable. plus my name is NoDoz- Sleep sunny
    OSTen19
    White Belt
    White Belt

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by OSTen19 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:13 pm

Most scientific and medical studies are merely scams set up to acquire money, funding etc etc... I am also very critical on what they report or "claim to report."

However, every now and then these grand studies operated by so called "uber" intelligent people fall into what I call the common sense zone. i.e. Children hug by the mothers and shown affection by the fathers have a higher chance of being happier in life than children who are not hug by the parents and that is exactly where this article/study falls. For anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence knows the benefits of a good night of sleep.

The sensationalist title of the article and the numerous catchphrases and buzzwords thrown around in it does negate the fact that when most people (child or adult) do not receive enough sleep they have tendency to become cranky or irritable.

A child may display their crankiness in a numerous of ways... moody behavior, screaming, hollering, excessive crying and temper tantrums all of which can be unfortunately mistaken for some form of mental illness.

Adults display the same symptoms but labeled differently... fits of rage, road rage, bitchy, diva, type A etc etc many of which also are link to some type of mental dis(order)

missingyoumadly you're correct our lifestyles our f'd up and I wonder what are they these people eating and drinking...

hmm let's see huge SUMS of coffee, energy drinks, energy bars, caffeine and more caffeine why...

to keep them going which keeps them up night, which causes them to be groggy in the morning, which has them waking up their children in a fit of rage and caffeine cravings.

Now the child's day is all out of whack and they are lashing out at school etc... The over caffeinated teacher is complaining, the parent is too tired to deal with it sets up a doctor's appointment in which child in a new environment is going to be a child exploring, active and everything else but being still and BAM the child is diagnosed with some acronym.

As the case with everything be it crime, viral outbreaks, a hit record or a popular movie there is no one singular reason why something happens but a myriad of reasons some visible some not.

Does not receiving a decent night of sleep or having poor sleeping habits lead to insanity or a mental illness of course not. Still a well rested person is a happy person and a happy person is a relax person and we all know the benefits of being relaxed.
    Sleep
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Post by missingyoumadly on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Very well said...I likewise believe that often children are diagnosed with things like ADHD when in fact they are perfectly normal because our generation is not accustomed to the energy of children. My son could be labeled as hyperactive, but only in the context that most of his friends are HYPOactive (i.e. zombified lol)
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111

Post by Lucid Memes on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:49 pm

os1019 wrote:However, every now and then these grand studies operated by so called "uber" intelligent people fall into what I call the common sense zone. i.e. Children hug by the mothers and shown affection by the fathers have a higher chance of being happier in life than children who are not hug by the parents and that is exactly where this article/study falls. For anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence knows the benefits of a good night of sleep.

lol! that's hilarious. like, remember that study released a year? it said something like, "new scientific evidence proves that reading in the morning and before bed will improve IQ scores."

you're right. its common sense. people generally know what's good for them. taking positive action is something else

there are forces among us who want the masses to be unintelligent, unhealthy, and unhappy. these the things will make a population good consumers and easy to manipulate.

but these forces have always been around in some form for ages...it all comes down to the few who can act upon what they know, and counter everything the system throws at them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 24, 2017 5:42 pm