“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

Government Waste

Wings4Wheels
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2009-11-17

Government Waste

Post by Wings4Wheels on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:47 pm

I get so pissed off when people resent mental illness disabilities. What it comes down to is this:

A typical bipolar can't get disability till they're about 50 years old, so a bipolar gets about $700 per month or $8,500 per year for 10 years until retirement.......but a person dying in the hospital costs $10,000 per day! That's right. 10 grand per day until they're dead which can go on indefinitely. Or lets compare it to how much it costs to encarcerate a person for one year: $36,000! Clearly, disability for a bipolar is a great bargain for the taxpayer. And don't worry about too many people getting disability, because most people are too proud to accept help, and the govt. doesn't makes it very difficult for even a sane person to get.

Most people don't know that the creation of mental illness meds is what closed down all the mental hospitals, and that's okay, but when you see people living in the street remember that they are mentally illI, don't have a place to go and are too nuts to get themselves on disability. I can't believe people are ashamed about this while corporate execs are getting welfare. Is it because our worthiness is measured by how hard we work and how much we spend? What part do pharmaceutical companies have to play in all this?

Please don't think about this if it makes you depressed.

Last edited by Wings4Wheels on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : FUKITOL)

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Re: Government Waste

Post by Lucid Memes on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:41 pm

Well, I guess in a way its part of the American ethos to not give a shit about disadvantaged people. The country is highly competitive, talks about fairness and equality in theory, but glorifies and rewards the winners in practice. We've been fed a lot of propaganda of the disaster of welfare for the poor (by corporate interests of course) but these same people are quick to take trillions of tax payer dollars when their banks and companies fail. I'd argue that corporate welfare is much more insidious, and much more taxing.

The American political system is very interesting. About half of the main government politicians are very anti-government corporate shills. If they hate the government so much, why would they be working for the government in the first place? They're the ones that purposefully mismanage shit to make it look bad; then they have the nerve to say the government doesn't work? Ummmm...yeah, it's because you suck at your job and are a fucking hypocrite with no business being in office!

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was wondering if this was a joke, but it's apparently not.

The woman mentioned that it cost more money to have people homeless on the streets than to have them housed. Any ideas for the reasons of this?

missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Number of posts : 345

Post by missingyoumadly on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:03 pm

Homeless people cost money for the following reasons:

-Health care
    -Shelters
    -Food closets/soup kitchens
    -Increased need for law enforcement in areas where homeless squat and live

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I thought of off the top of my head.

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Perhaps in some cases, its better to treat the problem as opposed to letting it fester and get worse.

I also feel its less to do with throwing resources and money at a problem, but more to do with using mismanaged resources more wisely.

Wings4Wheels
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Post by Wings4Wheels on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:38 pm

WATCH THIS MOYER'S JOURNAL LAST NIGHT ABOUT THOMAS FRANK:

Franks gives some awesome statements from a particular conservative leader who intentionally does't want the government to work ... probably for the same reason they want war and religion, it keeps people voting for them.... I can't be the person one who notices that military people and religious people vote conservative.

Man, I'm blown away by the Earthquake. We gotta be proud of the 100 million plus USA contribution that makes all the other countries look limp. Yeah, USA, for something anyway.

Last edited by Lucid Memes on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correcting link)

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Yeah, Thomas Frank pretty much nailed it. This is something I've been saying for a long time, that the right-wing economic ideology in America (and to a large degree left-wing as well) has been borderline minarchist for decades.

What is minarchism? It's basically the belief that government should be replaced with market forces and everything should be privatized...even things like social security (as the Bush administration has tried to do, the Obama admin is currently attempting to do as well). And that the minimal places where government would exist, is only with the intent of protection of private property, i.e. agencies such as judiciary, military, and police.

But even those minimal areas are subject to market destruction also. Half of the active current US military are private corporate mercenaries, the supreme court recently passed a law that allows unlimited corporate bribery in politics and the judicial system (so basically our military and courts are up for bidder)...so it's even hard to describe them as minarchists due to how far they're tempting to run with it.

And for me, what's so insidious about it is that these people, who are clearly agents of a system that seek to wage senseless wars, abusive arrests and torture, and the ongoing undermining of the livelihoods of honest people, are championing themselves to the public as if they're anti-system crusaders when they're nothing of the sort.

Wings4Wheels
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Post by Wings4Wheels on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:18 pm

The Supreme Court decision is a mind blower. The Tea Party and Sarah Palin are a joke, and my military cousins are all for it. The Democrats seem to fight for what's right, but there's no way they could be so lame unless it's on purpose. Some Peruvian friends are helping me find a country villa for when it's time to bale. As bad as the Dems are, I don't think I could stand another Republican administration.

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:07 am

The Democrats are a monstrosity. I've never seen a party compromise their principles so much that the end result turns out to be the exact opposite of the original intent.

No matter how much the Dems try to act like Republicans, they'll never get their support. So why do they continue to alienate their own base by emulating the GOP?

Wings4Wheels
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Post by Wings4Wheels on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Very well put. The Dems are so frustrating. I only voted twice, for Clinton and Obama. It's a hot sick mess. Peru looks better all the time.

Agogwe
    White Belt
    White Belt

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2010-05-09

Post by Agogwe on Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 pm

Wings4Wheels wrote:Very well put. The Dems are so frustrating. I only voted twice, for Clinton and Obama. It's a hot sick mess. Peru looks better all the time.

I can speak from experience with young adults that the mental health system has been stripped and basically it comes down to, if you need counseling, don't be poor. Just recently found out a cognitively challenged kid in my school had been with any counseling for about a year and we weren't even given papers about her situation until recently. So a person in clear need of help just gets pushed out because why? No dinero. Don't hear much about it in the mainstream though.

I spent some time in Peru and I have to warn you, the politics there can be equally frustrating, but the upside is that the Peruanos are not afraid to protest and fight when they're being treated unfairly. It's exciting.

RB
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2010-06-12

Vancouver BS

Post by RB on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:29 am

Lucid Memes wrote:Well, I guess in a way its part of the American ethos to not give a shit about disadvantaged people. The country is highly competitive, talks about fairness and equality in theory, but glorifies and rewards the winners in practice. We've been fed a lot of propaganda of the disaster of welfare for the poor (by corporate interests of course) but these same people are quick to take trillions of tax payer dollars when their banks and companies fail. I'd argue that corporate welfare is much more insidious, and much more taxing.

The American political system is very interesting. About half of the main government politicians are very anti-government corporate shills. If they hate the government so much, why would they be working for the government in the first place? They're the ones that purposefully mismanage shit to make it look bad; then they have the nerve to say the government doesn't work? Ummmm...yeah, it's because you suck at your job and are a fucking hypocrite with no business being in office!

The Vancouver clip about the end of Homelessness is total BS !

I lived in Vancouver for 6 years and I can tell you that the city does have homeless people, and not only that, one of the shabbiest ghetto of all cities of canada. I've seen sick and horrible stuff in Vancouver. Ohhhh, yes the cities is full of left wing hypocrites and social programs (like free needles for druggies, and now a hotel for the homeless), but in reality none of these programs work! It's a coup for the media and to let tax payers think they live in the greatest city in the world.

Vancouver is soulless. Yes, that's right I said it! Sure if you're a tourist, then you may think "wow what a great city! It's clean, near the ocean and mountains, etc, but that's exactly the point. The city if full of tourists and outsiders. Most who live there come from China or other asian countries, or other Canadian cities like Toronto. Not to mention that most only stay for 4 years and then move on.

What Vancouver did we to displace all the homeless into one small part of the town so that tourists don't see the problem.

Not to mention that Vancouver is the city with the most RAIN in winter in the WORLD! How would you like to live in a wet soggy soulless city, where a pissed down house will cost you 500,000$? Well... I guess if you were a rich Chinese joining Canada you'd be pretty happy.

I call it HongRainver, not Vancouver.

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:38 pm

RDBois wrote:
    The Vancouver clip about the end of Homelessness is total BS !

I lived in Vancouver for 6 years and I can tell you that the city does have homeless people, and not only that, one of the shabbiest ghetto of all cities of canada. I've seen sick and horrible stuff in Vancouver. Ohhhh, yes the cities is full of left wing hypocrites and social programs (like free needles for druggies, and now a hotel for the homeless), but in reality none of these programs work! It's a coup for the media and to let tax payers think they live in the greatest city in the world.

I have wised up to the situation in Canada, there's no perfect solution. And I was informed that much of the homelessness cleanup was more of a showboat for the Vancouver Winter Olympic Games. But still, regardless of the reason, I don't see how this is a bad thing.

RDBois wrote:Vancouver is soulless. Yes, that's right I said it! Sure if you're a tourist, then you may think "wow what a great city! It's clean, near the ocean and mountains, etc, but that's exactly the point. The city if full of tourists and outsiders. Most who live there come from China or other asian countries, or other Canadian cities like Toronto. Not to mention that most only stay for 4 years and then move on.

What Vancouver did we to displace all the homeless into one small part of the town so that tourists don't see the problem.

That's the whole point of drug legalization, that its to be regulated to certain areas. All the druggies and crime related causers related to the selling and usage of drugs, all get corralled into one area. This theoretically frees the rest of the city of their influence, while the problem is addressed in one spot where it can be more easily controlled. The fact of the matter is that drugs exist, they're never gonna go away and people will always fall for them. But its not worth waging a war against these people, of whom may be suffering from an addiction problem. They can receive treatment rather than just being locked up if they're not an actual violent criminal. You should see the show The Wire, season 3. They explore this subject.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:52 am