“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

Another reason why I don't believe in advanced ancient technology

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts: 1111
    Registration date: 2009-02-12

Another reason why I don't believe in advanced ancient technology

Post by Lucid Memes on Wed May 20, 2009 9:49 pm

The firmament

I was recently reading the Book of Enoch and I was surprised by the blatant astrotheology within the book. Once you know it's largely based on astrology, it suddenly makes so much sense. But one of the things that stood out to me was how ignorant their ideas of what space was. Now don't get me wrong, they weren't stupid when I say they were ignorant...but they just didn't know what was keeping the stars and planets in motion.

The ancient had no understanding of gravity. So they imagined that there was something physical keeping the stars up...like crystalline spheres (sometimes metal spheres) that had the planets and stars embedded in them

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Firmament is the usual English translation of the Hebrew "raqiya`" (pronounced rä·kē'·ah) meaning an extended solid surface or flat expanse, considered to be a hemisphere above the ground.[1] The word is derived from the Hebrew raqa, meaning "to spread out" by stamping, stretching, beating, or making broad.[2], e.g. the process of making a metal bowl by hammering metal flat, or "to make a spreading (of clouds)".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Well, the point of what this has to do with ancient technology, is that it's very difficult for me to believe that the ancients were endowed with some of the technological advancements that many modern theorists attribute to them. Things like they being interplanetary space travelers (or at least in contact with them), they being knowledgeable of hyperdimensional physics, or being genetic engineers without them knowing that the sun doesn't revolve around the earth

Last edited by Lucid Memes on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts: 1111
    Registration date: 2009-02-12

Re: Another reason why I don't believe in advanced ancient technology

Post by Lucid Memes on Wed May 20, 2009 10:00 pm

And this reminds me of the people who believe the ancients knew everything about reality back then

Look at this guy for example

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm not even gonna comment on him

It also reminds me of Tsarion, when he tried to rationalize the firmament, he said that space aliens created the firmament to keep other aliens trapped on earth lol

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts: 555
    Registration date: 2009-04-04

Post by Extant on Thu May 21, 2009 4:10 am

I'm reading Arthur Koestler's "The Sleepwalkers" which is about the evolving cosmological view from ancient times till the modern age.

As you say with the ancient astologers/astronomers they viewed the firmament as an "onion", layers of spheres within spheres. Interesting that over 300 years before Christ the Pythagorean Aristarchus of Samos proposed the first clear heliocentric model and then it disappeared till Copernicus revived it.

Phoenix778m
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts: 67
    Registration date: 2009-02-23

Post by Phoenix778m on Thu May 21, 2009 12:15 pm

I just got Arthur Koestler's The Ghost in the Machine. I have to say I love his sense of humor. This guy was a real thinker. But Eric Phelps is a nut. He believes that bible was written for specific races and each race should use their bible that god has given them LMAO.

splinters
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts: 69
    Registration date: 2009-04-15

Post by splinters on Thu May 21, 2009 1:12 pm

I think the ancients were more advanced then they let on, any technology or natural event that the public wasn't able to understand was classified as magic.

I highly doubt they had maglev trains or flying devices, I dont care if some paid stone craftsmen in machu-pichu designed some ancient artwork on behalf of Zacharia Sitchin.

Current date/time is Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 am