“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

Antartica, the lost Atlantis

warrenBbull
    Orange Belt
    Orange Belt

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

Antartica, the lost Atlantis

Post by warrenBbull on Sat May 09, 2009 5:54 pm

First off I wanna put up a few links:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Plus a book to check out--

Rose and Rand Flemath "When the Sky Fell" (can't find a link for this book online though)...

I find this interesting, the story of Atlantis/Antartica.... For some reason, I get the intuitive idea that a prior civilization existed here in ancient times, and they wielded far superior technology to their times.... And perhaps this may have been their downfall too... I honestly don't know why I think that, and I could be wrong, but for some reason something in me tells me this is the truth.... Perhaps it's a genetic memory..... But then again I could be wrong.... Does anyone have anything to add on this?

I think I may make this another point for my search....
    Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Re: Antartica, the lost Atlantis

Post by Extant on Sat May 09, 2009 6:19 pm

I'm going for South America, specifically the plains of Mesopotamia in what is now Argentina, as a strong candidate for the basis of the Atlantis legend. This article is superb on this theory:

Atlantis: The Land Beyond the Pillars

With the theory you're looking into I believe that the following book may be worthwhile seeking out:

Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age - Charles H. Hapgood

I haven't read it (it's on my 'to get list') but that goes into the Piri Reis Maps concerning Antartica when it was allegedly ice free.
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post by Lucid Memes on Mon May 11, 2009 9:08 pm

This is some problems with the Antarctica theory because of it's geographical position. A spot like that would've always been covered in ice because it's a pole. I've heard a few theories as to why the south pole wasn't covered in ice and inhabited by seafaring humans...but almost all of those theories are difficult to substantiate at this point in time. The Piri Reis Map is the best evidence to support that theory IMO. I do have Hapsberg's book btw. I bought it a few years ago but never really got into it lol.

I cracked open a new book Earth Under Fire: Humanity's Survival of the Ice Age and found a very interesting theory regarding what Atlantis was. LaViolette believes that Atlantis may have been an actual glacier that covered most of America and extended far into the Atlantic ocean, and "Atleanteans" were people who may have lived on top of it. And the ecological event that cause the end of the Younger Dryas is what melted the glacier. This would be the explanation as to why Plato said "it sank beneath the waves." I find this interesting

But at the same time, I'm skeptical of Plato's claims of Atlantis. After reading The Republic, then his descriptions of Timaeus and Critias, I began to suspect that Plato was making the story up as a cautionary tale against an Athenian form of society. Making the story up would've been part of his concept of "The Noble Lie"

warrenBbull
    Orange Belt
    Orange Belt

Post by warrenBbull on Tue May 12, 2009 2:53 am

Main thing I see wrong with LaViolette's theory is this; ask yourself, how would people live on top of a big ice glacier? How could they grow crops or plants? Or even livestock? How would people stay warm? I'm sure there may be some degree of truth in what LaViolette has to say, but it seems infeasible that a civilization could survive any length of time on top of a giant ice glacier....
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Post by Lucid Memes on Tue May 12, 2009 5:51 am

Sorry, I just opened the book and quickly skimmed through a few chapters. Let me clarify that statement. LaViolette did not say that the Atlanteans were people. Instead its a metaphor for glacial movements. Plato said that Atlantis conquered parts of the world before sinking into the sea. So the analogy is that where ever glaciers occupied was considered an Atlantean colony of sorts...but the colonizers were not people, it was ice. Ice being the metaphorical offspring of Poseidon (water) and Cleito (earth), hence glacier.

warrenBbull
    Orange Belt
    Orange Belt

Post by warrenBbull on Tue May 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Ah, well that changes things.... I'll be looking at different theories though, so I can figure this out on my own.... And there are soooooo many different theories about Atlantis...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:36 pm