“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

H1N1 Influenza: The Swine Flu Outbreak

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

H1N1 Influenza: The Swine Flu Outbreak

Post by Lucid Memes on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:34 pm

I don't really watch TV at all, so it takes while for the news to catch up to me, and I often avoid the news media all together. But this I couldn't miss even if I tried to avoid it. Almost every link on the front page of my email is about it. There seems to be a lot of panicking a paranoia about this subject, but I'm reserving judgment until more information comes out. Anyway, here's a good start.

Swine influenza virus

The 2009 H1N1 influenza outbreak is the spread of a new strain of influenza virus that began in March of 2009.

In The News – Swine Flu (Influenza) – All You Wanted To Know

Q&A: Swine flu

World 'well prepared' for virus

The international community is better prepared than ever to deal with the threatened spread of a new swine flu virus, a top UN health chief has said.

Dr Keiji Fukuda said years of preparing for bird flu had led to improved stocks of anti-virals worldwide.

The World Health Organization says the outbreak may become a pandemic.

Canada has become the latest country to confirm cases of the virus in humans after 20 confirmed deaths in Mexico and 20 non-lethal cases in the US.

The cases were recorded at opposite ends of the country: two in British Columbia in the west, and four in the Atlantic province of Nova Scotia.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

US declares public health emergency for swine flu

WASHINGTON – The U.S. declared a public health emergency Sunday to deal with the emerging new swine flu, much like the government does to prepare for approaching hurricanes.

Officials reported 20 U.S. cases of swine flu in five states so far, with the latest in Ohio and New York. Unlike in Mexico where the same strain appears to be killing dozens of people, cases in the United State have been mild — and U.S. health authorities can't yet explain why.

"As we continue to look for cases, we are going to see a broader spectrum of disease," predicted Dr. Richard Besser, acting chief of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "We're going to see more severe disease in this country."

At a White House news conference, Besser and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano sought to assure Americans that health officials are taking all appropriate steps to minimize the impact of the outbreak.

Top among those is declaring the public health emergency. As part of that, Napolitano said roughly 12 million doses of the drug Tamiflu will be moved from a federal stockpile to places where states can quickly get their share if they decide they need it. Priority will be given to the five states with known cases so far: California, Texas, New York, Ohio and Kansas.

Napolitano called the emergency declaration standard operating procedure — one was declared recently for the inauguration and for flooding. She urged people to think of it as a "declaration of emergency preparedness."

"Really that's what we're doing right now. We're preparing in an environment where we really don't know ultimately what the size of seriousness of this outbreak is going to be."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Swine flu empties Mexico City's churches, streets

MEXICO CITY – Churches stood empty Sunday in heavily Roman Catholic Mexico City after services were canceled, and health workers screened airports and bus stations for people sickened by a new strain of swine flu that experts fear could become a global epidemic.

Swine flu confirmed in NYC high school students

NEW YORK – New York City was dealing with a growing public health threat Sunday after tests confirmed that eight students at a private Catholic high school had contracted swine flu. Some of the school's students had visited Mexico on a spring break trip two weeks ago.

Swine flu fears prompt quarantine plans, pork bans

GENEVA – Canada became the third country to confirm human cases of swine flu Sunday as global health officials considered whether to raise the global pandemic alert level.

Extant
    Brown Belt
    Brown Belt

Number of posts : 555
    Registration date : 2009-04-04

Re: H1N1 Influenza: The Swine Flu Outbreak

Post by Extant on Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:39 pm

This is an experiment in sociological terms I think, a test run, and conditioning for the masses.
    This thing is bloody all through the memestream.
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Number of posts : 345

Post by missingyoumadly on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Some quotes that jumped out at me:

The World Health Organization has confirmed that at least some of the cases are a never-before-seen version of the H1N1 strain of influenza type A.

H1N1 is the same strain which causes seasonal outbreaks of flu in humans on a regular basis.

But this latest version of H1N1 is different: it contains genetic material that is typically found in strains of the virus that affect humans, birds and swine.

Wonder why it's never been seen? Rolling Eyes

Flu viruses have the ability to swap genetic components with each other, and it seems likely that the new version of H1N1 resulted from a mixing of different versions of the virus, which may usually affect different species, in the same animal host.

Ooooh mixing! Like, hmmmm, in a lab????

Is it safe to eat pig meat?

Yes. There is no evidence that swine flu can be transmitted through eating meat from infected animals.

However, it is essential to cook meat properly. A temperature of 70C (158F) would be sure to kill the virus.

Calm down, people. Keep eating your infected pig meat. Everything will be OKAY.

And just a random bit of information...

Number of times the word "PANDEMIC" appears in the above referenced articles:

Wikipedia "Swine Flu": 12
    Wikipedia "2000 Swine Flu Outbreak": 26
    BBC Article: 12
    splinters
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-04-15

Post by splinters on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:11 am

Systematic appearances of the "same strand of virus" world wide? It sounds suss, it could just be mass conditioning. People die from the normal flu strands on a yearly basis, perhaps these stats are getting lumped into the swine flu deaths?

I think its some type of dry run. Its times like these I wish I had a background in microbiology
    intrepidpixie
    Orange Belt
    Orange Belt

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by intrepidpixie on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:30 am

Yeah, I don`t watch t.v either, and hadn`t even heard about this. So, lets recap- Baxter, the company that "unintentionally" contaminated samples in their Austrian laboratory with the bird flu virus a couple months ago is now going to work diligently in concert with the WHO to come up with a vaccine against swine flu to disseminate prophylactally to Mexicans? Are they kidding!

This is some sort of ploy to get people vaccinated.
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Post by missingyoumadly on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:49 pm

I noticed when my son went for his martial arts class today that instead of the usual 12-13 kids, there were 4 including him. I wonder if people are panicking and keeping their kids home? Maybe I am just reading too much into it.
    splinters
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-04-15

Post by splinters on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Heaven or hell forbid this is the real deal..
    Regardless if it is or isn't expect to hear those "calls for mandatory immunization" or "experts recommend free vaccination" coming to a tv station or radio station over the next few days.

We should also expect a slow but increasing number of people not coming to work, to schools, colleges... Conversely I doubt shopping center attendance will drop off Razz
    missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Post by missingyoumadly on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:06 pm

splinters wrote:Heaven or hell forbid this is the real deal..
    Regardless if it is or isn't expect to hear those "calls for mandatory immunization" or "experts recommend free vaccination" coming to a tv station or radio station over the next few days.

We should also expect a slow but increasing number of people not coming to work, to schools, colleges... Conversely I doubt shopping center attendance will drop off Razz

Well I don't go to any of those places anyway...my little ones go to school, but I honestly will not keep them home unless I see there is good reason to. And if they stay home, they know better than thinking they won't be still "in school!" LMAO.

I think we should be taking precautions just as you would anyway to avoid the nasty germs that inhabit the earth. Wash your hands, avoid sick people, don't pick your nose. Consider your diet - are you healthy? Is your immune system strong?

Some things for good immunity: LOTS of vitamin C...you can take 3,000 mg a day. You can also do something called an ascorbic acid flush, which is essentially cleaning out your colon and flooding your cells with vitamin C. Sounds pretty amazing, although probably not for the faint of heart. Also echinacea over short periods of time, in tea or capsules. Stop eating junky crap if you do that...increase fresh fruit and veggies.
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:52 am

Egypt is taking drastic measure to control the outbreak

Egypt orders slaughter of all pigs over swine flu

CAIRO – Egypt began slaughtering the roughly 300,000 pigs in the country Wednesday as a precautionary measure against the spread of swine flu even though no cases have been reported here yet, the Health Ministry said.

The move immediately provoked resistance from pig farmers. At one large pig farming center just north of Cairo, farmers refused to cooperate with Health Ministry workers who came to slaughter the animals and the workers left without carrying out the government order.

"It has been decided to immediately start slaughtering all the pigs in Egypt using the full capacity of the country's slaughterhouses," Health Minister Hatem el-Gabaly told reporters after a Cabinet meeting with President Hosni Mubarak.

Egypt's overwhelmingly Muslim population does not eat pork due to religious restrictions. But the animals are raised and consumed by the Christian minority, which some estimates put at 10 percent of the population.

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:57 am

missingyoumadly wrote:
    splinters wrote:Heaven or hell forbid this is the real deal..

Well I don't go to any of those places anyway...my little ones go to school, but I honestly will not keep them home unless I see there is good reason to. And if they stay home, they know better than thinking they won't be still "in school!" LMAO.

I think we should be taking precautions just as you would anyway to avoid the nasty germs that inhabit the earth. Wash your hands, avoid sick people, don't pick your nose. Consider your diet - are you healthy? Is your immune system strong?

Some things for good immunity: LOTS of vitamin C...you can take 3,000 mg a day. You can also do something called an ascorbic acid flush, which is essentially cleaning out your colon and flooding your cells with vitamin C. Sounds pretty amazing, although probably not for the faint of heart. Also echinacea over short periods of time, in tea or capsules. Stop eating junky crap if you do that...increase fresh fruit and veggies.

This is good information MYM

Here's another good tibit i was reading from an article recently. It's about the bird flu, but you can see how this is related to the swine flu

Mike: I want to leave people with a positive message here, too. I don't want this to be a scary segment or anything, but the fact is that if this becomes a global pandemic, the kill rate of the virus will drop to something probably around 1 or 2 percent, which means that all you have to do to survive the bird flu pandemic is be healthier than 2 percent of the population.

Wolfe: Let's say the bird flu comes into your neighborhood or city or wherever you're at, and you start on the garlic, the echinacea, the lomatium, the reishi and the astragalus. You have all the superfoods, like the great vegetables and fruits. Your immune system is going to be able to knock it off. You're not going to get hit with it. It won't be able to hold onto you. Being prepared like that will literally save your life.

Justinfinity
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2009-04-09

Post by Justinfinity on Sat May 02, 2009 6:53 am

I think people need to stop fucking pigs. Swing Flu has been around forever, and only 20 people before this outbreak ever got it and none of them died. Swine Flu is not the much worse than the regular flu. Seeing people wearing masks is ridiculous, its like wearing a mask to not catch the common cold. It's not like you have a huge chance of dying from it. Almost 20,000 people die from the regular flu each year, hell... people even die from the flu shot.

This is utter delusional hysteria... just goes to show you how much people's minds are hooked into the mainstream illusion.
    Phoenix778m
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

Post by Phoenix778m on Sat May 02, 2009 1:59 pm

I've been thinking about this and if you take it from the Elite's perspective we are all swine.
    Anyway, My friend received a call on her cell phone yesterday Reminding her that swine flu was in the area and what you need to do to get vaccinated. I called her to see if I could get the number and see what agency was making the calls but she has erased her contacts for that day. I figure it was the Department of Heath here in Washington State but I can't be certain. One thing that is certain is the drug company's are making tons of money, They are destroying food and Tamiflu has been known to cause suicides.

Another random thought! How many people are going to get sick just because of the Placebo effect?
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Sat May 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Justinfinity wrote:Swine Flu is not the much worse than the regular flu. Seeing people wearing masks is ridiculous, its like wearing a mask to not catch the common cold. It's not like you have a huge chance of dying from it. Almost 20,000 people die from the regular flu each year, hell... people even die from the flu shot.

That pretty much sums it all up

The world it panicking over something less deadly than the common flu

Know how many people die in car accidents everyday? Where's all the paranoia surrounding that? lol

I'm not saying that there should be paranoia about vehicles, the point is that the media is making a big deal over nothing

The vaccination agenda is probably behind all this

missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Post by missingyoumadly on Sat May 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Justinfinity
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Post by Justinfinity on Sat May 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Preston wrote:
    Justinfinity wrote:Swine Flu is not the much worse than the regular flu. Seeing people wearing masks is ridiculous, its like wearing a mask to not catch the common cold. It's not like you have a huge chance of dying from it. Almost 20,000 people die from the regular flu each year, hell... people even die from the flu shot.

That pretty much sums it all up

The world it panicking over something less deadly than the common flu

Know how many people die in car accidents everyday? Where's all the paranoia surrounding that? lol

I'm not saying that there should be paranoia about vehicles, the point is that the media is making a big deal over nothing

The vaccination agenda is probably behind all this

Yeah man, putting it people's heads will proly lead to them getting the virus. This is all in people's heads because its on their TV screen - otherwise it'll be 'out of sight, out of mind', and no on will give a shit like all the real problems the world has.

Excellent chart missingyoumadly... it's sad people need it showed to them like this.
    Justinfinity
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Post by Justinfinity on Sun May 03, 2009 6:51 am

Martial Law over Swing Flu? Should that even be a question? Jesus fucking christ, the shit these fuckers pass off as news.
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Fri May 15, 2009 7:22 am

All the media does is report horrible news

They'll never have a breaking news update on the number of people who didn't die today

Rather, they follow the maxim "if it bleeds it leads"

Phoenix778m
    Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2009-02-23

Post by Phoenix778m on Fri May 15, 2009 1:56 pm

I think you should shutdown all schools. WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATION!!! If anybody had read the rules for a quarantine or watch a Hollywood blockbuster as of late, knows that if you try to leave the area you will be shot on site. If the shit hits the fan there isn't going to be a lawyer to contact or a court to appeal to. LMAO this is ridiculous.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content