“Chapel Perilous, that vortex where cosmological speculations, coincidences, and paranoia seem to multiply and then collapse, compelling belief or lunacy, wisdom or agnosticism.” ~Robert Anton Wilson

*GROAN* The Somali Pirate Thread *PUKE*

missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Number of posts : 345
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

*GROAN* The Somali Pirate Thread *PUKE*

Post by missingyoumadly on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:05 am

So if you have turned on your tv or any other media source over the last week, you have heard NOTHING but stories about the so-called Somali Pirates. HOW EXCITING!!! OOOOOH we can't wait for the mini-series...those BAD PEOPLE over there are trying to kill our ADORABLE INNOCENT AMERICANS!!!! Gosh darn, I hope they catch and kill those evil motherfuckers. How dare they. Well, I knew something was fishy about this whole thing but to tell the truth, I didn't know much about Somalia at all other than they seem to have plenty of pirates in their seas. I find it fascinating how American media can take a story with TWO SIDES and only present one, thereby elevating an American ship captain to hero status and creating a new foreign enemy in the Somalis with no explanation whatever.

So, anyway, to that end I found this blog post:

When pirates hit the news and it had nothing to do with Johnny Depp, I knew there had to be something else behind the purple haze of media fan fare. For some 9/11 started their new life of living in fear, for me and others, it was a reminder that hearkens back to our elementary school days when the teacher would pull out the front page of the news paper and have the class write down questions based on the headline.
    Why pirates? and Why now?
    We in the west have an on going love affair with pirates and outlaws in general. If the media chose to call them terrorists of the sea I do not feel they would achieve the smokescreen that they need. In October of 2008 Al Jazeera wrote “Somali pirates have accused European firms of dumping toxic waste off the Somali coast and are demanding an $8m ransom for the return of a Ukrainian ship they captured, saying the money will go towards cleaning up the waste.” I have yet to see anything in any mainstream US media about this toxic dumping and that the pirates showing growing outrage over the poisoning of the the Somalia coast. To think that 3 years before, in 2005, there was a United Nation report released stating the toxic waist dumped off the coast of Somalia had drifted because of the Asian tsunami. Five years? There were no reports of pirates before 2005. I know that cargo value nor access to boats has gone up since 2005. So why are they all over the new now? It’s much easier to make your country look like the good guys and play the victim when the evil monster who are out to get you have a name… From everyone’s a terrorist to pirates…

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SO I know you are sick and tired of hearing about it, but for those of you who want ammo to combat the fucking stupidity of the media on a daily basis (as I do) there it is.

I hope the pirates keep fucking up people who come to take advantage of their country's poor situation.
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Number of posts : 1111

Re: *GROAN* The Somali Pirate Thread *PUKE*

Post by Lucid Memes on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean MYM

It's sad that this has become such a media extravaganza. They don't really look like crazy swashbuckling pirates like we've seen in movies of a romanticized past. Instead, they take that idea and project it onto a bunch of poorly feed teenagers with guns.

Nobody is even really talking about Somalia really. No one mentions their entire country has been in a constant state of civil war since 1991: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Their country has been divided into a few dozen factions: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And all of this internal conflict is still raging on strong: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:29 pm

Another thing that's interesting is that Somalia is such a run down country with such a barely functioning government, that the pirates that hijack ships and cargo are some of the only people in their country with any money! These gun totting teenagers are like the rich upperclass for crying out loud. What do you expect will happen in a place with little to no resources? The people will take anything they can get their hands on.

missingyoumadly
    Blue Belt
    Blue Belt

Number of posts : 345

Post by missingyoumadly on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Well a tidbit of info for ye, in the days before the COAST GUARD the US used to pay pirates (privateers) to patrol our waters as well, to protect our coasts. The Somali pirates, IMO, act as border guards to a country which is essentially weak and poor and unprotected. If uppity westerners used your back yard pool as a nuclear dumping ground, you'd probably want to send them to Davy Jones' Locker, too. I really don't blame them.

The imbalance of power and resources in the world is painful.
    Lucid Memes
    Red Belt
    Red Belt

Post by Lucid Memes on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:10 pm

A tad of interesting news...

Somali Pirates Open Up a "Stock Exchange"

HARADHEERE, Somalia (Reuters) - In Somalia's main pirate lair of Haradheere, the sea gangs have set up a cooperative to fund their hijackings offshore, a sort of stock exchange meets criminal syndicate.

Heavily armed pirates from the lawless Horn of Africa nation have terrorized shipping lanes in the Indian Ocean and strategic Gulf of Aden, which links Europe to Asia through the Red Sea.

The gangs have made tens of millions of dollars from ransoms and a deployment by foreign navies in the area has only appeared to drive the attackers to hunt further from shore.

It is a lucrative business that has drawn financiers from the Somali diaspora and other nations -- and now the gangs in Haradheere have set up an exchange to manage their investments.

One wealthy former pirate named Mohammed took Reuters around the small facility and said it had proved to be an important way for the pirates to win support from the local community for their operations, despite the dangers involved.

"Four months ago, during the monsoon rains, we decided to set up this stock exchange. We started with 15 'maritime companies' and now we are hosting 72. Ten of them have so far been successful at hijacking," Mohammed said.

"The shares are open to all and everybody can take part, whether personally at sea or on land by providing cash, weapons or useful materials ... we've made piracy a community activity."

[...]
    Ten of them have so far been successful at hijacking,' Mohammed [a wealthy former pirate who took a Reuters reporter to the facility] said. ... Piracy investor Sahra Ibrahim, a 22-year-old divorcee, was lined up with others waiting for her cut of a ransom pay-out after one of the gangs freed a Spanish tuna fishing vessel. 'I am waiting for my share after I contributed a rocket-propelled grenade for the operation,' she said, adding that she got the weapon from her ex-husband in alimony. 'I am really happy and lucky. I have made $75,000 in only 38 days since I joined the "company."'

the rest of the article here - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wow lol! people are gonna make money, some way, some how

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 am